Wednesday, January 9, 2013

DIY Color Block Monthly Calendar

If one were to walk into my room, they would see how overly obsessed I am with organization and to do lists. So, when I stumbled across this DIY monthly calendar on Pinterest, I knew I had to try to make my own!

What you'll need:
- frame (it can be any size but I decided to use one that was 24 x 18 because I had it laying around the house!)
- backing (fabric, wrapping paper, poster board, paper, paint, or whatever you want to use as your base)
- paint samples (you'll need 35 blocks plus 7 small strips to go above each column so make sure you pick up enough!)

Step 1: Remember when you would ask your geometry teacher when you would ever use this in "real life"? Well, here's that time! Measure your frame's width and height. Remembering to leave room at the top to write the month name as well as space on all other sides, divide the height by 5 and the width by 7. When figuring out these measurements, make sure you are keeping in mind that you will need to leave space between each of the squares. In my case, I decided to leave .25 inches between each of my blocks. My blocks were 3W x2H.

Step 2: Cut out your blocks! Now that you have figured out all of the measurements, grab your scissors and get going!

Step 3: Putting it all together! After you have cut all of your pieces out and have decided on your background (I used up a roll of silver wrapping paper that I had left over from the Holidays), its time to get everything glued down.  To make sure I had everything straight, I glued down the bottom row first and then worked up each column and measured each space with a ruler. (I didn't want to make any markings with a pencil as they wouldn't erase off very cleanly).

Step 4: Place it in the frame, grab a wipe-board marker and you're set!


Comment below letting me know if you try this projector if you have any helpful hints for those who plan on making their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment